Thursday, October 6, 2011

this & that

-I didn't mean to fall off the Blogger Bandwagon...  but we were out of town all last week, and I have spent the first part of this week since I've been back both playing CatchUp and being sick.  Today, I am not only feeling better, but I am nearly caught up, and I call that a very good thing.   Yay God.

-While I was out of town, I roamed several Flea Market stores, and one resale shop.  They were all the sort of shops with lots of dust, plenty of junk, but with treasures waiting to be sought out, with just a bit of hunting.  It's kind of like an Easter egg hunt.  A few of their treasures came home to Texas with me: an entire set of six CS Lewis books (including a few I've been wanting!) for seventy-five cents; two old hardback books with beautiful covers to make purses out of (yes, that's right, purses); and a retro sewing pattern from the 60s (I am currently making a dress from a retro 40s pattern... if that turns out to be wearable, why not try my hand at another?).  It's the little things in life, I tell ya. 

-We had a lovely time on our family vacation... we didn't do a lot of anything, except perhaps, wandering and roaming the sights and stores, and that was perfect for this year.  And I drank copious amounts of coffee and tea too.  That was also perfect. 

-Since returning, Becs and I have started a very strict diet regimen for abundant-health purposes (I am something of an Herb Nerd and Becs is always wanting to try some extreme new health pursuit, so we are a bit dangerous together).  We can have as much of we want of practically nothing.  Becs is like a little hawk, and if I so much as put the wrong sort of vegetable on my plate she gives the The Eye and fusses.  I do not exaggerate.  I hope I survive the next six weeks.  However, it is so so good to bring my flesh into submission in this way and exercise those muscles of discipline... it's good, every now and then, to do something your flesh really hates doing.  Somehow, the physical and the spiritual work together, and not only do I find my physical self-discipline strengthening, but then I find my spiritual discipline begins giving my spiritual muscles a new workout and that is always good.  It's one of the benefits of fasting too... My dad, for as long as I can remember, fasts one day a week (breakfast and lunch) for spiritual reasons, and some of us have followed that example in some way or another.  It helps builds spiritual stamina and helps keep your gaze steady on The Prize.  I love what the Apostle Paul says, 'Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things.  Not they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.' (1 Cor. 9:24-27)  The Apostle Paul sure was smart. Christians should be some of the most disciplined people out there.

-I got some fall cleaning done today... this included cleaning windows.  I'm sure no one realizes how many windows their house has until it is time to clean them.

-These days I find myself praying about going to China next summer for three weeks.  My flesh doesn't much want to go, I do not know if I will go, but I think it's a possibility that the Lord might want me to go.  There is a need, and what are these single years for, but to serve the Lord with all that I am?  Whether it is this need or another one that I am supposed to step up to, is yet to be seen.   We shall see.

-This is all for now, I suppose.  I want to keep my seat on the Blogger Bandwagon for a longer period of time this round... you know, that discipline thing I was talking about?  ha!  Yes, it needs to extend to time management and making time for more than just the immediate-urgent tasks in front of me as well.

-I am thankful today for: music {it enriches life so much}... good family team-work... blustery days and afternoon showers... safe travels... trials that put steel in the backbone... enriching books... my own room...  happy faces... thoughtful and pondering faces... my favorite season being upon us...  Celestial Seasoning's seasonal Candy Cane Lane tea being back on the shelf!... the strong and mighty love of God...

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Oh, go to China! (obviously do what you feel you should, but this is my advice.) Just the idea of spending time working in another country is so exciting. You will never regret it if you do it. I think everyone should go and serve someone who is really, truly, dirt poor. Whether or not God calls you to do it as a permanent life long vocation, it broadens your mind and heart for whatever voaction He does have for you.

Plus it's cool! It is unbelievably awesome.